THE GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
The gift of righteousness! Many born-again Christians are unaware of their gift of righteousness or of the gifts benefits. This article will help understand your gift and show you the power that is yours in having the gift of righteousness.
When we left for Ethiopia, we took with us painted 44-gallon drums with all we needed for a four-year term. We were missionaries in an isolated area, and we shopped for extras when we went to the capital city once a year. Every birthday and Christmas I would go to the drum and find something that we hadn’t used yet and wrap it as a gift. We made it a fun time! My point is we already had the gifts in storage.
Some don’t even know about their gift! It reminds me of when I worked in the labour ward in a maternity hospital. An obese lady come to the Emergency Department of the hospital with stomach pains and didn’t know she was pregnant. I delivered her baby half an hour after she received the news. Imagine that, carrying a precious gift and not knowing it!
When we came home on our break from Ethiopia, I found myself in the middle of the supermarket aisle crying as I saw all the choices. I had just come from caring for children dying from starvation due to a severe famine in the area.
Born again believers in the western world have God-given gifts but because they are self-sufficient, consumed with ‘getting’, wanting more money, goods, acceptance, approval, likes etc., instead of being good ‘receivers’, they are unaware of the precious gift they are carrying.
Are you carrying a precious gift that you are not fully aware of? Do you know about your gift, but you are not benefiting from it?
IT’S THE GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS! Let’s see how you can benefit from this gift.
- You can’t earn it and it can’t be taken away from you, as your righteousness (being approved and in right standing with God) is a gift! “For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:17 NLT)
- Because you have received God’s gift of righteousness by faith, His promise to you according to Romans 5:17, is that you will triumph over sin and death. Some translations say ‘rule’ or ‘reign’ over them in life. When you really understand the gift of righteousness you will not have the same desire to sin, and you will have authority over sickness and disease which are simply the first visible stages that death has begun to destroy life.
- Because you have received the gift of righteousness you can be assured your prayer will be heard. “The LORD… hears the prayers of the righteous.” (Proverbs 15:29) Gods word says that eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer” (1 Peter 3:12)
- And when you or somebody else needs prayer, instead of looking to others to pray, you can be confident that your prayer is effective. “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” (James 5:16 NLT)
- Since you are righteous, each morning you can claim God’s promise of being blessed and covered with favour for the day. “For you bless the righteous, O LORD; you cover him with favour as with a shield.” (Psalm 5:12 ESV)
In way of explanation! Justification is your standing in Christ when you are born again – you are made righteous. Sanctification on the other hand, is a process as you allow the Holy Spirit to help you become more like Jesus every day through the renewal of the mind.